Friday, April 6, 2012

It's a balancing act

I've come to the realization that many of us court reporting students have that one speed level that is harder than all of the others to pass.  For me, getting past my 160s was the most difficult and frustrating of them all.  It was like, my fingers would freeze and just wouldn't move.  I would get so tense and have to take a break to rid myself of my nerves during tests.  After six months of spending four to six hours daily working towards improvement, I finally saw results.  Nonetheless, it was a rough six months, and I'm glad they're over.

What I like about my online court reporting program is that it incorporates two different learning techniques in our speedbuilding regimen:  mostly writing clean notes and dropping when it's too fast; and at other times just write and let your fingers move freely.  During my 160 wpm journey, learning to practice both of these styles was key to my success from that point forward.  I say that because I learned that I had to write clean enough to be able to read my notes, however I needed to loosen my thinking cap and turn it to the side a little bit in order to keep my fingers from freezing up.

Now, this is just what has worked for me in my training so far, and I'm by no means an expert on this.  Being that I'm a Libra, I naturally find happiness in achieving balance.  Clearly, everyone functions in different ways, so I don't expect that this "way of going about it" will be that magic key for everyone.  I've found a couple of resources online, and I'll share them so that you all can explore them and see which methods best suit you.

I really like the video teachings that Stephen Shastay has on YouTube.  Although this is for students in slower speeds, the technique is applicable to students in the higher speeds as well.   Steve advocates writing clean notes, however he also emphasizes the importance of becoming an expert "dropper" when your speaker starts to babble so quickly you mentally rename him/her Chatty Cathy.



On the opposite end of the spectrum, Mark Kislingbury teaches on YouTube a method that involves getting a stroke for everything.  I have found this method to be more enjoyable than the flipside, but I still believe a balance should be maintained between the two.  I like to practice in this manner when transcribing TV shows or radio shows because it allows me to sort of turn my brain off and really enjoy writing and let my fingers move more smoothly than they usually do.



I actually did a lot of free writing like this when I was getting through my 160s, simply because of the fact that I would get bored listening to my school dictations after hearing them over and over again.  I think that by practicing from shows that kept me entertained and by allowing my brain to relax while still being engaged with my writer, I was able to stick to my practice sessions for extended time periods without getting frustrated and calling it quits prematurely.

One more thing worth sharing is a document written specifically about the rough patch, which I previously made reference to, that many student reporters experience during their training.  It is called The Plateau, and you can read read it here: http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/filez/the_plateau_older.pdf.  Stephen Shastay was one of three authors on this.  It gives a more in depth explanation on why writing clean and learning to drop are crucial to getting through court reporting school.

As a side note, I want to congratulate my dear friend, Stacy, for passing her 160s today!  She was actually the inspiration behind this post because we've chatted many times about how the 160s were a huge challenge for her, just as they were for me.  Congrats, girl!  So happy for you!

Happy steno-ing, my friends!  :)   

4 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I came across your blog through the CourtReporter Connection on Facebook. It's so nice to find a blog from a student going through the same things! I had a question for you - I'm enrolled in a traditional Court Reporting school, but since I have a Bachelors and MBA I'm starting to think paying an additional $30,000 for a "certificate" is just not worth it. I read that you are using CRAH - do you recommend this to others? It sounds like you've been working on Court Reporting for 2.5 years, may I ask which speed you are currently on?

    Thanks so much, and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Molly! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog!

    I was in the same boat as you because I, too, have a degree and then I decided that I wanted to learn court reporting after I finished college. CRAH certainly isn't cheap, but it is definitely SO much more affordable than all of the other schools that I checked out three years ago. I love the program! I am a very self-motivated/disciplined person when it comes to my studies, so I do think that is the most important factor that would determine someone's success/failure in this program. There aren't any deadlines with this program, which I have actually embraced. You can pace yourself as you wish and you can make adjustments when things in life get crazy. But you will spend a lot of time studying solo, which is something not everyone enjoys doing. So I would say just think about how you perform in an "individual" setting and whether that may be a good learning environment for you or not.

    The one thing that has really been helpful to me through the past six months or so is the group on Facebook called Encouraging Court Reporting Students and also the group CRAH Students (also on Facebook). Being able to communicate with other students and have that encouragement is really what has kept me motivated to push through and keep practicing even when I wanted to give up.

    I just passed my 200 Q & A on Friday of last week, and I'm at 160 wpm for Jury Charge and 160 wpm for Literary. The CRAH support staff is very, very helpful and they always respond to phone calls and emails right away. If you have any other questions about the program, I would be glad to help! I suggest you search for the CRAH Students group on Facebook and request an add, and there are several students in there that would also be happy to give you their perspective on the program as well.

    What theory are you learning and what speed are you at (if you're speedbuilding yet)? Good luck with whatever you decide to do! It's a big decision so definitely put a lot of thought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!
    I like this blog. It is very useful and informative post.
    Thank you for sharing such an excellent post with impressive content.
    College Court Reporting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective post.
    I appreciate this blog because it gives the excellent information about on this topic. Thanks for sharing such nice thought.
    Court Reporter Arkansas

    ReplyDelete